Shape the strategy for recovery
We’re dedicated to helping states ensure the expediency and integrity of their UI programs while supporting citizens in their return-to-work efforts. As a trusted partner to 18 state UI agencies, we can help you create a plan that addresses the immediate challenges of today while shaping a longer-term strategy for recovery and program modernization.
Overcoming today's challenges and leading the way to stability and recovery with UI program and return-to-work services
state UI programs supported since March
Maximus specialists performing complex work
job seekers served annually through state and county workforce programs
Harness the power of an experienced partner
We understand the importance of UI as an essential citizen safety net and key driver in stabilizing families and the economy. Unfortunately, the COVID-19 pandemic tested that safety net in ways we never imagined ─ compromising the integrity of state UI programs with unprecedented fraud resulting in the loss of billions of dollars.
Maximus can help. We partner with states to ensure the timely, accurate payment of UI benefits while upholding program integrity every step of the way. We can also support your state’s return-to-work efforts, as well as guide the modernization of UI business processes and technology.
Together, we can develop a roadmap to recovery that meets your state’s needs from beginning to end.
Stabilize your state’s economy and ensure UI program integrity
After a year nearly dominated by COVID-19, an effective public partnership model with the private sector has emerged for UI programs. With a green light from the federal Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and flexibility supported through the CARES Act, Maximus is assisting state UI agencies with responding to COVID-19 and meeting the needs of the individuals and families they serve.
How we help
We provide support for every step of the unemployment lifecycle. From claimant support and claims management to program integrity, return-to-work services, and consulting on process and system modernization, our comprehensive portfolio of services helps state UI agencies overcome the challenges of today and shape a strategy for long-term recovery and program modernization.
What we do
We have the capability and capacity to augment, support, and supplement states’ UI/PUA program needs – quickly. Our experienced UI specialists can handle everything from claimant support to claims management, including adjudication and fraud detection and processing – experience that’s especially critical to avoiding time-consuming and costly corrections later on. We can also supplement your state’s efforts to help UI recipients return to the workforce faster, as well as further combat fraud through the modernization of processes and systems.
How we've succeeded
Since our work providing UI/PUA services began earlier this year, we have already delivered significant value for our state partners, including the ability to stand up projects quickly and astutely; process claims faster and more accurately; and skillfully perform complex tasks like adjudication and program integrity processes.Discover how we’ve helped state UI programs succeed
Why we’re unique
With decades of experience operating health and human services programs across the nation, we deliver unmatched operational efficiencies, enhanced program performance and integrity, and the ability to provide citizens with the highest level of service. Further, as a leading provider of workforce services to state and local governments, we can help citizens navigate your state’s employment resources – proactively connecting them with job-search resources, training, and referrals that can expedite the return to work while reducing frustration and confusion.Explore additional ways we can help UI programs succeed
Support for every step of the unemployment lifecycle
- Claimant support
Our claimant support augments your state’s frontline services, providing first-class customer service to ensure claims are submitted quickly and thoroughly. We can help with:
- Inbound calls
- Claims status information
- Basic questions
- Help filing initial claim
- Claim changes/updates
- Pin resets and bank changes
- Work history or wage adjustments
- Reopen claims
- Manage claimant email inquiries
- Multi-channel engagement (virtual agent, web chat, phone)
- Claims management and support
Performing more complex tasks, our claims management team can help with:
- Claims investigation and processing
- Dynamic fact finding (claimant and employers)
- Validate identity
- Pension issues impacting eligibility
- Incomplete, expired, and ineligible claims adjudication
- Validate last bonafide employer issues
- Fraud investigation support
- Clarify incomplete/missing claims info IBIQ mismatch
- Wage protest issues
- Appeals and hearings support
- ICON systems expertise
- Protection against overpayment, and overpayment duration
- BOT and AI technology
- Integrated telephony if needed
- Program integrity
The Maximus approach to program integrity prevents, detects, and defends UI programs against overpayment and fraud risk while maintaining or improving federal BTQ and BAM quality standards achieved by states. Our approach:
- PREVENTS fraud through identity verification and validation.
- Supplements digital identity tools to improve verification of claimant identity during application
- Validates that identity “match” is accurate
- Automates manual processes for validating identity
- Clears identity holds and reduces claims backlogs awaiting review
- DETECTS fraud by identifying patterns indicative of fraud schemes and acting upon it.
- Leverages machine learning to identify irregular patterns
- Creates protocols to flag or release claims
- Incorporates human intervention to determine if claims are valid
- Utilizes a segmentation process designed to investigate and resolve
- DEFENDS against fraud by limiting the risk of overpayment through faster issues resolution.
- Segments backlog for faster risk assessment of overpayment
- Expedites data match between claimant refusals for work
- Resolves mismatch
- Includes consulting to help identify where gaps and risks exist
- PREVENTS fraud through identity verification and validation.
- Business processes and technology
We can support your UI program modernization efforts with skilled consulting that covers both processes and technology.
Systems modernization and integration support
- GAP analysis
- Need assessments
- Implementation support (PMO, QA, IV&V)
- Post-PUA analysis
UI business process review
- Process improvement
- Change management
- Improper payment detection and recovery
Cultural process improvement
- Set departmental goals with stakeholders
- Breakdown silos for team collaboration
- Define desired outcomes
- Develop continual improvement
- Developing leaders
- Agile transformation
- Return-to-work support
Reducing the duration of UI payments by helping citizens return to work sooner can help mitigate the hit to trust fund solvency states are experiencing today. With over 30 years of experience providing coaching, skills building, and employment services on behalf of state and county agencies, Maximus has the expertise and resources to support your state’s return-to-work efforts. Our customized solutions include:
- Proactive outreach that encourages UI recipients to look for work before benefits are set to expire
- Virtual interactions and support using platforms claimants already use
- Partnerships with employers to facilitate more meaningful connections with job seekers
- Warm hand-offs to re-skilling opportunities