Embracing digital: Mobile enrollment in Louisiana
A first-of-its-kind health app
- Today, at least 26% of U.S. adults earning under $30,000 are smartphone dependent with no other internet access – and that percentage is expected to rise.
- This group, which includes many younger users and those most likely to need Medicaid, often suffers from gaps in their online experience with government.
- To bridge the gap, Louisiana was looking for a way to better engage Medicaid beneficiaries and more fully meet their healthcare needs.
Close gaps in the consumer experience by streamlining access to digital information and services, driving choice and creating new self-service options.
In keeping with our philosophy to serve customers on their preferred platforms, we designed and implemented the Healthy Louisiana mobile app, the first project of its kind in the country to enable Medicaid enrollment through an app.
Our technology immediately raised the bar for beneficiaries, providing a secure, streamlined, 24/7 experience on Apple or Android. And we keep improving it with new user-friendly avenues for finding information, comparing healthcare plans, enrolling, and getting assistance.
The app is just one of the dynamic solutions we’ve created for Healthy Louisiana, the state’s Medicaid managed care program, to help exceed user expectations when accessing digital information.
How we did it
The Healthy Louisiana mobile app provides a self-service option that anticipates user needs, reducing traffic to higher-cost enrollment channels. It includes:
- Multilingual support: English or Spanish
- Real-time data customized to the user, including beneficiary information and options
- Easy plan comparisons with ratings by independent viewers
- Simple provider searches by name, plans supported, languages, and hospital affiliations, plus geolocation and mapping
- Multichannel integration encompassing the web, social media, email, and other tactics
- Built-in tutorials, FAQs, and assistive technology
With this first-in-market technology, we’re closing gaps in the consumer experience to forge a better relationship between citizens and government.
4.6 of 5 star rating
in App Store and Google Play
Top 100 medical app
in Google Play
2019 PRNEWS Award
Winner for mobile app
in mobile enrollment
Improving health outcomes
Over the past nine years, we’ve been implementing targeted innovations to support the evolution of health programs in Louisiana, offering a wide range of solutions to improve the beneficiary experience. Our efforts include expanded digital outreach, more self-service options, online enrollment counseling, improved program reporting and analytics, and dedicated support programs for at-risk populations.